The liver is the main powerhouse of our body where the food that we eat is broken down into the intestine and stomach by various proteins, enzymes and bile which is produced by the liver. It is also the storehouse of minerals, vitamins, and carbohydrates.
Liver is the only organ in the human body that cleanses itself. Whatever we eat or drink is detoxified by our liver therefore it is important to choose the best foods for liver health to keep your liver fit.
Best foods for liver health
Here are some best foods for liver health that help to cleanse your liver naturally.
- Avocado – It is termed as the superfood in healthy liver diets containing a unique antioxidant known as glutathione to filter harmful toxins from our body. It contains a good amount of different minerals, vitamins which improve the overall health of the liver.
- Walnuts – In general nuts are the best foods for liver health as they contain nutrients, fats, vitamins and antioxidants making them beneficial to treat various disorders. Walnuts contain a rich source of amino acid known as arginine which supports liver cleansing. Black walnuts also help to oxygenate blood in the liver.
- Garlic – Garlic contains a sulphur compound to activate the liver enzymes which aid in flushing out toxins and waste material from our body. This is included in healthy liver diets as it consists of selenium to protect the liver from damage.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is the most powerful spice and is treated as the best foods for liver health because it protects the liver against damage and regenerates healthy liver cells by naturally increasing the bile production. It also prevents fat accumulation in the liver that could lead to conditions like cirrhosis of the liver, fatty liver.
- Beetroot – Beetroot juice contains nitrates and acts as an antioxidant benefitting the heart. It also reduces inflammation and this is included in best foods for liver health because the chemical found in the beetroot can help our body fight against liver disease.
- Olive Oil – Olive oil along with its extract are healthy liver diets which are beneficial in liver diseases. This powerful antioxidant protects the liver from different toxins.
- Fatty Fish – Fishes like salmon, tuna, mackerel have a rich source of omega -3 fatty acids and is known as the best foods for liver health as it reduces liver inflammation. These fats maintain normal levels of enzymes and prevent accumulating extra fat in the liver.
- Green leafy vegetables – The cruciferous veggies such as spinach, kale are healthy liver diets with rich content in antioxidants and vitamins A, C, K which aid in blood purification.
- Fruits – Fruits like apple and grapefruit should be consumed as the best foods for liver health. Adding fibrous fruits like apples in your diet eliminates toxins from your body providing a healthy support to digestive tracts. Grapes, grape juice and grape seeds are rich in antioxidants aiding in the reduction of inflammation and prevention of liver injury.
- Berries – Berries like blueberries and cranberries are rich in anthocyanins (plant compounds) to increase antioxidant enzymes, to improve immune response, and to protect against liver damage. This makes all types of berries the best foods for liver health.
- Green tea – Green tea is listed under the healthy liver diets as it contains full of antioxidants known as catechins which help in reducing inflammation and detoxification of the liver.
- Tea and coffee – These beverages are categorized under best foods for liver health because these are shown to lower liver damage in patients with existing liver problems. It also lowers the risk of permanent tissue damage and cirrhosis, improves the formation of liver enzymes and reduces inflammation.
The above best foods for liver diet can help to lower the risk of liver diseases and cancer besides improving enzyme production and boosting protection against harmful toxins. Using these healthy liver diets in a natural, and holistic way keeps your liver protected.
Read also Liver Transplants.