A neurosurgeon is a medical doctor who diagnoses and treats the patients with conditions affecting the nervous system including the brain, nerves and spinal cord. Despite being a surgeon, the neurosurgeon aids the patients with an advanced treatment using both surgical and non-surgical procedures.
It is vital for a patient to visit the best neurosurgeon hospital like Rela MS Hospital in Chennai to get proper medical advice and surgical treatment if they come across any serious neurological disorder affecting the nervous system or if the pain or issue persists by not responding to any of the non-surgical treatments.
What is Neuro Surgery?
Neurosurgery refers to the surgical treatments performed in the head, spine, or nervous system. The nervous system as a whole includes the brain, spinal cord, and network of nerves throughout the body. More specifically, the neurosurgery in Chennai includes the following procedures: surgery to treat pain in the nervous system, treatment of epilepsy, back and neck surgery, vascular surgery, cerebral angiography, lumbar puncture and nervous system biopsy.
Who is a Neurosurgeon?
A neurosurgeon is a physician who is specialized in diagnosing and providing surgical treatment for patients with disorders in the central and peripheral nervous system including trauma, congenital anomalies, tumours, vascular disorders, stroke, infections of the spine or brain, or degenerative diseases of the spine, etc.
What are the Causes of Neurosurgery?
A patient who has mild or severe neurological disorders has to approach the best neurosurgeon for getting the best neurosurgery in Chennai because they treat a variety of conditions involving the brain, head, spine, neck and nerves including:
1. Some types of chronic pain that results from neurological conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis
2. Epilepsy and other seizure disorders
3. Cancers affecting the brain, nerves, and spine
4. Multiple sclerosis
5. Aneurysms and strokes that involve bleeding in the brain
6. Spinal disorders affecting the spinal cord
7. Injuries in the head, neck and spine
8. Congenital disabilities involving the brain, spine, or nervous system
It is advisable to seek the best neurosurgeon in Chennai from the renowned neurological hospital like the Rela MS Hospital to get a comprehensive neurosurgery in Chennai.
Signs That You Should See a Neurosurgeon
In most cases, your primary physician or your neurologist will refer you to the neurosurgeon in Chennai if you are diagnosed with a neurological condition that requires an in-depth assessment. The neurosurgeons have extensive knowledge regarding the brain, peripheral nervous system, central nervous system spine, and the conditions that can affect them.
The patient will receive a sophisticated neurological exam, a review of the symptoms and medical history, with a detailed diagnostic imaging to determine the underlying cause of the symptoms. Some of the symptoms that requires a patient to visit the best neurosurgeon hospital in Chennai include:
- Change in pattern of headaches
- Unexplained nausea or vomiting
- Vision problems
- Difficulty in balancing
- Speech difficulties
- Feeling exhausted
- Difficulty in making decisions
- Personality or behavioural changes
- Inability to follow simple commands
- Hearing issues
If you experience any of the symptoms, the neurosurgeon in Chennai will determine and discuss the suitable treatment options for you, which can be a surgical treatment, non-surgical treatment or a combination of both.
Diagnosis and Treatment Procedures for Neurological Disorders
Before opting for the surgical treatments, the neurosurgeon in Chennai will recommend a number of tests that include:
- A Neurological Exam – It may include checking the vision, hearing, coordination, balance, strength and reflexes.
- Imaging Tests – To help diagnose tumors if any. Sometimes it is combined with CT scan (computerized tomography) and PET (positron emission tomography) to evaluate the tumor and determine a treatment plan accordingly.
- Biopsy – It is a procedure to reach more sensitive areas to remove benign or tumors and is frequently guided by MRI or CT scan.
After diagnosis, the neurosurgeon may recommend for a neurosurgery in Chennai with some of the neurosurgery procedures such as:
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy – If there is neck pain due to the herniated disc, this common procedure is performed to remove the damaged or painful disc.
- Craniotomy – It is one of the neurosurgical procedures where the neurosurgeon in Chennai treats a portion of a patient’s skull to make extra space for the brain to prevent the brain from being crushed.
- Chiari Decompression – This is the safest neurosurgery procedure for treating Arnold-Chiari malformation, which means a bone at the back of the patient’s skull is removed to get an improvement in the balance or coordination.
- Laminectomy – This minimally-invasive procedure is performed by the neurosurgeon in Chennai for patients suffering from back pain where small incisions are made in the skin to remove a small portion of the lamina or vertebral bone to overcome the existing pain.
- Microdiscectomy– This neuro surgery in Chennai treats people who are suffering from painful herniated discs especially in the lumbar area.
- Spinal Fusion – This procedure treats degenerative diseases or traumatic injuries of the spine to keep the patient’s spine in a stable position.
- Epilepsy Surgery – If the medicines are not effective, then the neurosurgeon in Chennai opts for surgical treatment as the next option. This involves removing a minor portion of the brain which leads to fatal seizures.
- Ventriculostomy – In this procedure, the neurosurgeon in Chennai will use a tube to remove excess fluid in a patient’s brain without any implantation.
The Best NeuroSurgeon in Chennai
There are many best neurosurgeons in the best neurosurgeon hospital in Chennai. But, to get the state-of-the-art treatments for a wide range of neurological conditions involving the brain and spine, consulting the renowned neurosurgeon would be of great help. Equipped with high end facilities and talented neurosurgeons, Rela MS Hospital aids in performing the most complex surgical procedures with a holistic approach. Some of the best neurosurgeons here are:
Dr.Paraneetharan Marimuthu (MBBS, MCh, DNB, MRCS, FNS, FEBNS)
Dr. Paraneetharan Marimuthu is a well-known senior consultant and clinical head here. This best neurosurgeon in Chennai has more than two decades of expertise in dealing with patients of various spine and brain disorders. He is much appreciated for keenly updating his surgical skill and knowledge to help patients with the latest advances in neurosurgery with the cutting-edge technology. He specializes in neurotrauma, neuro-oncology, spine surgery trauma, cerebrovascular surgery, functional neurosurgery etc. His main goal is to provide maximum benefit to the patients with minimal pain and morbidity.
Dr.M. Anbuselvam (MBBS., MCh (Neurosurgery)
Dr. M Anbuselvam is a renowned senior consultant and the best neurosurgeon in Chennai having years of experience in the neurological field to handle patients with all kinds of neurological disorders. He is good at performing trauma and complex neurological surgery for patients of all age groups. He is much appreciated by the patients for his patience in responding to their doubts beside designing a suitable treatment plan to help them to have a speedy recovery and restore to their normal lifestyle.
To sum up, the neurosurgeon in Chennai can handle the patients with different neurological disorders using cutting edge techniques. The treatment plan can be surgical and nonsurgical depending with an aim to make the patient lead a quality and a healthy life. You can visit Rela MS Hospital, the best neurosurgeon hospital in Chennai, to get an accurate diagnosis and receive an appropriate treatment plan for you.
Read also Best Liver Transplant Hospital in Chennai.