If you are a sportsperson, or are in your 40s or 50s, or have friends and family who are physically active, you must have probably heard of the word “orthopaedics.” But do you know what exactly an orthopaedic doctor in Chennai does? And how do you know if he could be of great benefit at the time of need?
In brief, an orthopaedic doctor is sometimes called an orthopaedist or an orthopaedic surgeon. They primarily focus on caring for your bones, ligaments, joints, nerves and tendons (the tissue connecting the bones and joints). These parts of the body are together referred to as the ‘musculoskeletal system’.
Who is an Orthopaedic Doctor?
Orthopaedic doctors are often referred to as orthopaedic surgeons. They focus on helping the patients with musculoskeletal issues. Their duties include: Diagnosing and treating the conditions affecting the musculoskeletal system, assisting with rehabilitation to help the patient in regaining movement, strength, flexibility and range of motion following an injury or surgery and aid in forming strategies to prevent injuries or to treat chronic conditions such as arthritis from getting worsened.
What Type of Conditions Does an Orthopaedic Doctor Treat?
The Orthopaedic doctors are specialized in treating the disorder or injury in certain body parts like the hand, wrist, ankle, foot, knee, shoulder, elbow, neck, back, hips, etc. The ortho doctor Chennai treats a wide variety of conditions such as:
- Muscle strains
- Bone fractures
- Pain in the joint or back
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Injuries to ligaments or tendons such as sprains, ACL tears and tendonitis
- Abnormalities in the limb such as bowlegs and clubfoot
- Bone cancer
If you experience any of the above-mentioned conditions, it is better to visit the best ortho hospital in Chennai to get a comprehensive treatment from an orthopaedist.
When to See an Orthopaedic Doctor?
You may need to see the best orthopaedic doctor in Chennai if you have:
- Persistent pain or swelling in the bone, joint, or muscle that recurs, or doesn’t respond to any home care.
- A significant decrease in the range of motion or mobility of a joint, such as your elbow, knee, or shoulder
- Trouble in performing your daily activities
- Nerve-related symptoms, such as tingling and numbness or a “pins and needles” sensation in your legs or arms.
- An injury to the bone or joint that needs immediate attention from the ortho doctor Chennai.
Treatment Procedures Handled by an Orthopaedic Doctor
The Orthopaedic doctor in Chennai may recommend a variety of treatments and procedures for the conditions they handle. It can be both surgical and non-surgical methods.
Sometimes when a condition or injury doesn’t improve with conservative methods. In such cases, your orthopaedic doctor Chennai may recommend you to undergo a surgery. Some of the surgical procedures performed by an orthopaedic surgeon include:
- Joint Replacement. Joint replacement surgery helps to replace the parts of a joint that have become diseased or damaged, usually secondary to arthritis. Examples of joint replacements include knee replacement and hip replacement surgery.
- Internal Fixation. This is performed by the best orthopaedic doctor in Chennai because it involves the placement of hardware such as screws, pins, plates, and rods to help hold broken bones in place during the healing process.
- Soft Tissue Repair. This kind of surgery is performed to repair severely damaged ligaments, muscles, or tendons.
- Release Surgery. This type of surgery is performed for carpal tunnel syndrome. It aids to relieve symptoms to reduce pressure on the median nerve.
- Fusion. It involves using bone graft material along with some form of internal fixation in order to connect two bones together. As the bone tissue heals, it fuses into a single bone. This technique is often used in spine and neck surgery.
- Osteotomy. Osteotomy is a type of surgery performed by the best orthopaedic doctor in Chennai by cutting a part of a bone and then repositioning it. This type of surgery is used sometimes to treat arthritis.
The non-surgical treatments are also termed as conservative treatments. The best orthopaedic doctor in Chennai will often focus on nonsurgical treatments first before recommending any type of surgical procedure.
Some types of nonsurgical procedures include:
- Exercises. Your orthopaedic doctor Chennai may recommend specific exercises or stretches in order to maintain or improve your flexibility, strength, and range of motion in a specific area.
- Medications. The best orthopaedic doctor in Chennai will recommend certain medications to help overcome persistent pain or swelling.
- Immobilization. Sometimes preventing additional strain to a particular area would definitely help in the healing process. Some of the immobilization techniques may include casts, splints and braces.
- Lifestyle Changes. The experts in the best ortho hospital in Chennai may also help you with making lifestyle changes. It can involve modifying your diet plan, engaging you more with physical activity, and elaborating you the ways of exercise to prevent aggravation of any condition or injury.
Best Orthopaedic Doctor in Chennai
Your best ortho doctor Chennai will communicate with your health care provider regarding your family history, diagnosis and treatment procedures. At Rela MS Hospital, we have real-time access to check your test results to provide efficient care. Some of the best orthopaedic doctor here include:
- Dr. Ashok S. Gavaskar (MBBS, MS (Ortho), FRCS (Glasg), FACS) – This best orthopaedic doctor in Chennai is currently the clinical lead of orthopaedics and trauma. His clinical expertise includes minimal access total joint replacement, computer assisted and robotic joint replacement surgery, pelvic-acetabular surgery, failed fracture fixations and other replacement surgeries relating to the musculoskeletal system.
- Dr. Rufus Vasanth Raj (MBBS, DNB – Orthopaedics/ Orthopaedic Surgery) – He is a senior consultant and clinical lead of arthroscopy and sports medicine. He is the best orthopaedic doctor in Chennai who is widely acclaimed in the field of arthroplasty, arthroscopy, Orthobiologics, trauma and sports medicine where he has carved a name for himself with outstanding results and high patient satisfaction.
- Dr. Balamurugan (MBBS, D.Ortho, DNB (Ortho), FIPO(UK) This best orthopaedic doctor in Chennai is currently the senior consultant and head of paediatric orthopaedics. He has a broad expertise in treating a wide spectrum of orthopaedic conditions including trauma, paediatric orthopaedics, paediatric trauma, and lower-limb deformity corrections, etc.
- Dr. Parthasarathy Srinivasan (MBBS, D Ortho, DNB, MNAMS, FNB (Spine Surgery)) – He is a senior consultant and the head of spine surgery and this best orthopaedic doctor in Chennai has performed more than thousands of surgeries relating to spinal disorders. His clinical expertise includes complex deformity correction, scoliosis correction, spine infections and tuberculosis, minimal invasive and keyhole spine surgery, complex deformity correction, nerve root blocks and spinal injections, spine trauma and spinal cord injury rehabilitation, etc.
If you’re looking for the best orthopaedic doctor in Chennai, you can visit Rela MS Hospital because this best ortho hospital has highly skilled and experienced orthopaedic doctors and rehabilitation specialists who have helped countless patients receive sophisticated treatment with the state-of-the-art techniques for an accelerated or speedy recovery.
Read also Best Liver Transplant Surgeon in Chennai.